Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Basic Artful Needs


Thought there might be some interest in seeing what I use to create the sketches posted here. This is strictly a personal selection and yours is too, I imagine. Let me know what you use. These tools comprise the basics.

I have a full complement of Berol Prismacolor pencils. My favorite over the Derwent “emergency” brand. The Berol has softer lead, making the colors richer and easier to control hue and intensity. Not shown, is the Design Watercolor Pencil set. The Koh-I-Noor large barrel clutch pencil is stocked with a crayon-like black lead. It is marvelous to work with and you can attain a much blacker black than a normal lead pencil, making the range of intensity greater. And it feels great on the paper. One of the few drawing tools I really get a charge out of when I take it to smooth paper!

I am a big fan of the dual point markers and a couple are pictured here. The Staedtler brand has brush and fine points, a favorite for sketching quick, more abstract, “life” subjects. Depending on the paper and subject, I like the Sharpie Twin Tip and the way it bleeds, creating spontaneous “reference starter points” giving the sketch a loose feel. Lastly, is the classic Micron pen, ideal for detail work, architectural subjects or when you want to carry only one drawing instrument. Many rave about this pen but it does tend to lack character in and of itself. But it is dependable and, though permanent, does not bleed like other markers. Sharpie has a similar archival ink product.

I have recently added the Rotring fountain pen to the work force. The drawback here is, it has to be used frequently or the nib starts to dry out.

This is not all the instruments I use but this will get the job done in the field or at home. Not shown are two sets of permanent markers by Design and Berol with dual tips for laying down base color.

No comments:

Post a Comment